From: Wulf Blankenfeldt [mailto:wulf.blankenfe...@mpi-dortmund.mpg.de]
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:31 PM
To: pymol-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [PyMOL] Showing only part of a surface around a ligand

Hi all,

this question may be resolvable by sufficient RTFMing, but maybe there
is someone out there to help me...

I am trying to generate a figure in which I want to show only a part of
the protein surface around a ligand - pretty much like

preset --> ligand sites --> solid surface

I have already tried some amateur solutions like splitting the ligand
into parts, placing waters to generate pseudo-ligand atoms and the like.
Somewhat unsatisfying. I have also realized that I can click on every
atom of the protein and do a show surface, but this will drive me insane
sooner than later.

I guess it must be doable through some magic selection commands - if I
could only see how the preset command works, I could probably work it
out from there.

Can somebody please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Wulf