Bala,

Switch the mode in which the mouse is selecting from residues to atoms.
  Then click the atom and do Hide->Everything.  (To switch modes find
the word "Selecting" in the lower right hand side of the screen, click
it until "Atoms" shows up.)  Now the mouse selects only atoms.

Alternatively, I got just the DNA backbone to be visible (hiding all
bases) by:

# fetch and example PDB with DNA
fetch 3gfi
as cartoon