During my editing of dynoplot.py, I noticed that there were some
whitespace issues.  Normally I consider whitespace a bikeshedding
topic, but in python, it is significant, so it matters.  When tabs and
spaces are mixed, our own personal settings for how tabs are displayed
in an editor makes a huge difference in whether the script is
understandable.

I checked out the git repo of pymol scripts (
http://github.com/jlec/Pymol-script-repo/ ) and did some analysis

First, these files switch between some lines where all indenting is
tabs to lines where all indenting is spaces:
Objects_and_Selections/color_objects.py has 8 tab lines and 34 space lines
ThirdParty_Scripts/WFMesh.py has 52 tab lines and 21 space lines
biochemical_scripts/pucker.py has 167 tab lines and 5 space lines
math_geo_cgo/modevectors.py has 160 tab lines and 2 space lines
structural_biology_scripts/DynoPlot.py has 82 tab lines and 27 space lines
structural_biology_scripts/Rotamers.py has 86 tab lines and 22 space lines
structural_biology_scripts/kabsch.py has 51 tab lines and 4 space lines

Second, there are files where the indenting inside a line switches
back and forth (numbers are the counts of lines that have both tabs
and spaces in indenting):
Objects_and_Selections/color_objects.py: 19
ThirdParty_Scripts/WFMesh.py: 29
ThirdParty_Scripts/transform_odb.py: 6
math_geo_cgo/modevectors.py: 12
structural_biology_scripts/DynoPlot.py: 83
structural_biology_scripts/Rotamers.py: 86
structural_biology_scripts/kabsch.py: 1

I've tried using pindent.py (
http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk/Tools/scripts/pindent.py )
and PythonTidy ( http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PythonTidy/ ) to
generally fix these, but they both run into problems.  Is there a
general solution out in the python world to automatically fix this?  I
don't care whether it produces tabs or spaces.  I just want one or the
other.  If someone points me to something, I'm more than willing to
run it on these scripts, push them back to github and copy them back
onto the wiki.

-David