Hari,

PyMOL has objects, which you access by writing "objectName",
selections which you access by "(selectionName)" and another level of
selections that Warren was working on.  While in many places you can
use "objectName" or "(objectName)" to refer to your object, you cannot
do this in all places.  This is one.

Cheers,

-- Jason