Hi,

Wouldn't you get about the same if you did:

import string
proper = set([ i.resi for i in cmd.get_model('all').atom if not
i.resi[-1] in string.ascii_letters ])

I admit, there is a pattern with my previous posts :p And I know, the
import statement can be added as __import__('string').ascii_letters,
but even I think that's a bit too wild... :D

Cheers,

Tsjerk

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 12:01 AM, Jason Vertrees
<jason.vertr...@schrodinger.com> wrote:
> Hi Nat,
>
> I don't think PyMOL natively handles something that slick.  I would
> then start scripting:
>
> fetch 3edx, async=0
>
> # start a Python block
>
> python
>
> # import stored
>
> from pymol import stored
>
> # create a set to hold residue identifiers
>
> stored.resiList = set()
>
> # this set will contain those residues ids w/letters
>
> badList = set()
>
> # populate the residue list
>
> cmd.iterate("3edx", "stored.resiList.add(resi)")
>
> # foreach residue in the list, look for anything resembling
> # a number followed by a non-number (eg. letter)
> # and add it to the bad list
>
> for x in stored.resiList:
>  if None != re.search("\d+\D", x):
>    #print x
>    badList.add(x)
>
> # the set difference will be what you're looking for
>
> print "Good residues are"
> print stored.resiList - badList
>
> python end
>

> Cheers,
>
> -- Jason
>

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Nat Echols <nathaniel.ech...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Jason Vertrees
>> <jason.vertr...@schrodinger.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Interesting question.  PyMOL's wildcards can help here:
>>>
>>> select allButInsertionsA, not (i. *A)
>>>
>>> This will look for all residue NUMBERS that end in "A" and select
>>> everything but that.
>>
>> Thanks, that definitely helps a lot.  I just realized that my original
>> question was poorly formulated, however: the insertion code often (maybe
>> always?) changes from residue to residue (PDB ID 3edx is one example).  So I
>> could build up a list of all insertion codes, or just use all uppercase
>> characters, but I'm worried about the size of the resulting selection
>> strings.  (I managed to crash PyMOL for the first time in years last week
>> with a very long selection.)  Can I instead select for a *blank* insertion
>> code?
>> -Nat

> Jason Vertrees, PhD
> PyMOL Product Manager
> Schrodinger, LLC
>
> (e) jason.vertr...@schrodinger.com
> (o) +1 (603) 374-7120

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.

post-doctoral researcher
Molecular Dynamics Group
* Groningen Institute for Biomolecular Research and Biotechnology
* Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials
University of Groningen
The Netherlands