Hi Jason,
sorry for last message ..

To label a residue by an mdo command cmd.mdo(int frame, string command) I can
pass as command one among these strings:

1) 'label %s, "%s %s"' % (..)
        works fine but prints a message (I don't want) to the output window

1+) 'label %s, "%s %s", quiet=1' % (..)
        doesn't work, I get a
        SyntaxError: can't assign to literal

2) 'cmd.label("%s", "\'%s %s\'")' % (..)
        works fine and doesn't print a message to the output window (is my
choise)

2+) 'cmd.label("%s", "\'%s %s\'", "quiet=1")' % (..)
        doesn't work, pyMOL crashes

A similar behaviour I've got about alter_state and cmd.alter_state()

So the 'label ..' command appears not having a 'quiet' option and appears not
being the same than 'cmd.label  ..'

This was strange to me and (hoping I didn't make a mistake in the script) I
was curious to know the raison of this behaviour if simple to tell. If not,
please don't care: I solved (thanks to you) my problem and so you can skip my
request.
Thanks a lot.

Cheers
  Roberto