Hello Tsjerk,

I can use the function and commands. print clipped("clipsed") - but not print clipped("3lzt") - shows the indices of the atoms between the clipping planes

Tsjerk Wassenaar wrote:
Hi Johannes,

Coincidentally, I found myself in need of the same functionality the
other day. I came up with this:

####

 from pymol import cmd

def clipped_by(at,v):
    x,y,z = at.coord
    nz = v[2]*(x-v[12])+v[5]*(y-v[13])+v[8]*(z-v[14])-v[11]
    return nz > v[15] and nz < v[16]

ATTENTION: The rotation matrix is in column-major order <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Column-major#Column-major_order> - that's understandable. Hence by multiplying with v[2], v[5] and v[8], you multiply the third column - not row! - with the coordinate vector, in order to get the rotated z-component. The matrix seems to be transposed. For me that is very unusual. In my R script, I made ordinary matrix multiplication and got erroneous results.

def clipped(selection="all",state=1):
    v = cmd.get_view()
    return [ i.id for i in cmd.get_model(selection,state).atom if
clipped_by(i,v) ]

####

The function 'clipped' returns a list of IDs for atoms from a given
selection that are outside the clipping planes. You can use it like:
The function returns the atoms inside the planes.

run clipped.py
fetch 3lzt,async=0
clip near,-30
cmd.select_list("clipsed","3lzt",clipped("3lzt"))
orient
hide
show spheres, not clipsed
Hence show spheres, clipsed reproduces the selection by a previous slab.

Thank you very much.

Johannes