Hi :)

The radius of gyration is not that tough. Here's a python script to do
it in pymol. Do note that the hydrodynamic radius is something
related, but different.

from pymol import cmd
import math

def rgyrate(selection):
  # Get the atoms for the selection
  model=cmd.get_model(selection).atom
  # Extract the coordinates
  x=[i.coord for i in model]
  # Get the masses
  mass=[i.get_mass() for i in model]
  # Mass-weighted coordinates
  xm=[(m*i,m*j,m*k) for (i,j,k),m in zip(x,mass)]
  # Sum of masses
  tmass=sum(mass)
  # First part of the sum under the sqrt
  rr=sum(mi*i+mj*j+mk*k for (i,j,k),(mi,mj,mk) in zip(x,xm))
  # Second part of the sum under the sqrt
  mm=sum((sum(i)/tmass)**2 for i in zip(*xm))
  # Radius of gyration
  rg=math.sqrt(rr/tmass-mm)
  # Print it...
  print "Radius of gyration:", rg
  return rg

cmd.extend("rgyrate",rgyrate)

Hope it helps,

Tsjerk

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Julio Cesar da Silva
<julio.si...@lnbio.org.br> wrote:
> Dear Kanika,
>

> I do not know how to calculate the Rg using PyMOL. If it is possible, I
> would also like to know how. However, there are other possibilities.
>
> Do you have the pdb file of the molecule from what you want to calculate the
> radius of gyration? If so, you may use the program CRYSOL (download:
> http://www.embl-hamburg.de/biosaxs/crysol.html), which is used for
> comparison with SAXS data. When you run that program, you can search within
> the log file the parameter “Envelope Rg”. But, keep in mind that the program
> takes into account a solvation layer of about 3 Angstroms.
>
> You can also try the HydroPro program
> (http://leonardo.inf.um.es/macromol/programs/hydropro/hydropro.htm), which I
> believe that makes the Rg calculation, but I rarely use this program for
> that. I am sure that HydroPro can provide you the hydrodynamic radius, but I
> am not sure about the Rg.
>

> Regards,
>
> Julio

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.

post-doctoral researcher
Molecular Dynamics Group
* Groningen Institute for Biomolecular Research and Biotechnology
* Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials
University of Groningen
The Netherlands