Hi Hari,

> I am using svn pymol rev 3953 on a 64 bit Ubuntu box.
> I have a custom script that maps extent of conservation into the
> b-factor record of a pdb for visualization.
>
> I noticed a small feature in pymol
>
> My protein atoms in chain A have b-factors from 0 to 11 to indicate
> conservation extent , . The Heteroatoms , in this pdb also in  chain A
> have their ususal b-factors in the 60s.
> Now if I ask for the surface to be colored by bfactors spectrum for *.ca.
>
> Pymol echoes
>

>  Spectrum: range ( 0.00000 to 11.00000).

We can quickly test the ranges to ensure PyMOL is acting appropriately:

withHET, withoutHET = [], []
iterate *, withHET.append(b)
iterate n. CA, withoutHET.append(b)

# print range w/HET

print min(withHET), max(withHET)

# print range wout/HET

print min(withoutHET), max(withoutHET)

and we can color by:

# color by spectrum

spectrum b, rainbow, n. CA

The problem I think you're having is that the colors don't expand to
the surface as you want.  I created a script awhile back to do just
this; see http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/Expand_To_Surface.

Please let us know if this helps.

Cheers,

-- Jason

> But the colors on the surface clearly also include the heteroatoms
> .which are all above 55 and in chain A.
> So the whole protein surface ends up blue since majority of values are below
> 11.
>
> I did get around this by removing the heteroatoms to a different chain
> . But it seems there is a discrepancy between what is echoed to the
> stdout and the color-range pymol displays on the screen in this
> instance.
>
> Hope this is not some setting that I am messing up on my side
>
> Thanks
> hari

Jason Vertrees, PhD
PyMOL Product Manager