Hi John,

I don't think you need a re-install.  My take on the problem is that
using the repositories installs the pymol libraries to the system python
(not sure offhand which that is for ubuntu 11.10).  But pymol is
apparently trying to start up with "/usr/bin/env python", which is
picking up the python you've got installed in /usr/local.

Short version - try edit pymol (probably /usr/bin/pymol) to hard-code
the system python.

Pete