Hi Sean,

> To clarify, B.dcd matches the number of atoms in B.pdb and A.dcd also
> matches the number of atoms in A.pdb.  In the previous example, if I perform
> steps 3 and 4 first then it works in loading B.dcd into object "B".  Then,
> if I try to open up A.pdb into a separate PyMOL window, loading of A.dcd
> into object "A" fails with the same error (obviously, with the atom numbers
> reversed).  Thus, somehow, the second PyMOL window is retaining/obtaining
> information from the first PyMOL window.

Is this the open-source build or Incentive MacPyMOL? Also, what
command do you issue to start MacPyMOL from the command line?

> Okay, I've managed to make a little bit more progress on identifying this
> problem.  After navigating to the directory for A.pdb (/path/to/A/), I open
> A.pdb and load in A.dcd (the window is kept open).  No problem.  Then, on
> the command line (not in PyMOL), I navigate to the directory for B.pdb
> (/path/to/B/) and open B.pdb in a new PyMOL window (i.e. "pymol B.pdb").  In
> this (B) window, if I do a "pwd" in the PyMOL GUI, instead of saying
> "/path/to/B" it returns "/path/to/A"!  For some reason, it doesn't recognize
> that I've changed directories.  This explains why it was throwing the "atoms
> in object did not equal number of atoms" error because it was indeed trying
> to load A.dcd into object "B" (which have different atom numbers).  I
> assumed that navigating to "/path/to/B" on the command line (outside of
> PyMOL) and then calling PyMOL from there was enough for PyMOL to know where
> it was.  However, it appears that having one instance of PyMOL already open
> will somehow affect the path of the second window.  Perhaps there's a
> workaround for this?  I've never encountered this behaviour on Linux before.

Interesting. I could see how this could get confusing, especially
since in reality your files are named the same thing.

> For now, to get around this, in the second window, I have to re-navigate to
> the right directory within MacPyMOL as the command line is not enough.

Glad you found a workaround for now. Please let me know about the above.

Cheers,

-- Jason