Hi Thomas.

I succeded with the last version of Pymol 1.4.x compilation, and have
written it here.
http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/Linux_Install#Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_RHEL_6_compile_and_install_with_MPEG_support_for_x86_64_bit

sudo yum install subversion gitsudo yum install python-imaging pygame
apbssudo yum install gcc-c++ python-devel python-pmw glew-devel
freeglut-devel libpng-devel freetype-devel

It was for RHEL 6, and so it should be the same for centos.

I have not yet tried for 1.5, since Jason said that it need python 2.7, and
our system comes with
python 2.6.6

Best
Troels