Hi Gudrun,

If you raytrace an image it is written to disk and loaded into the
viewport. If the imge is larger than the viewport it is displayed
smaller with the real resolution mentioned underneath. If you save the
image, using 'png', it is saved in the large format, without the black
padding.

Cheers,

Tsjerk

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Gudrun Lotze <gudrun.lo...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Dear Pymol-Experts,
> a while ago I had problems with the ray command. It always showed me a black
> frame with mentioning at the bottom the image size.
> The group advised me to use viewport.
>
> viewport 800, 600
>
> ray 800, 600
>

> This works and I don't get this black frame, however if I try different
> values, for example 1200, 1000 I still get the black frame. Everything fits
> nicely on the screen and I don't know where this black box comes really in
> the other cases.
> I would like to use a higher resolution than 800, 600 without the black box.
>
> Thank you very much for your help.
> Kind regards
> Gudrun

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.

post-doctoral researcher
Molecular Dynamics Group
* Groningen Institute for Biomolecular Research and Biotechnology
* Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials
University of Groningen
The Netherlands