Hi Jason,

> We read the shaders from $PYMOL_PATH/data/shaders. We should be
> reading them from $PYMOL_DATA/shaders. If you'd like to change this on
> your own compiled PyMOL you'll need to change lines 411 and 418 of
> pymol/layer0/ShaderMgr.c and rebuild. If you're a paying PyMOL
> subscriber this should be fixed in the next update release. This might
> not be the problem for you, though?

We are using the Schrodinger binaries. It doesn't sound like this is the
problem though.

> What is your $PYMOL_PATH set to? What is in there when you do a file
> listing of that path from the shell?

I am not explicitly setting PYMOL_PATH to anything in our environment. The
'pymol' start up script is setting it to:

PYMOL_PATH=/programs/x86_64-linux/pymol/1.5.0.4

It looks like PYMOL_DATA should then be:

 $ ls -l /programs/x86_64-linux/pymol/1.5.0.4/data/
drwxr-xr-x 5 sbgrid sbgrid 4096 Jan 12  2012 chempy
drwxr-xr-x 2 sbgrid sbgrid 4096 Jan 12  2012 demo
drwxr-xr-x 4 sbgrid sbgrid 4096 Jan 12  2012 mm
drwxr-xr-x 3 sbgrid sbgrid 4096 Jan 12  2012 pmg_tk
drwxr-xr-x 3 sbgrid sbgrid 4096 Jan 12  2012 pymol
drwxr-xr-x 2 sbgrid sbgrid 4096 Apr 11 16:29 shaders
drwxr-xr-x 2 sbgrid sbgrid 4096 Jan 12  2012 tut
drwxr-xr-x 2 sbgrid sbgrid 4096 Jan 12  2012 xray

This reminds me of a problem we had with users that were ssh tunnelling
into the lab network and their shell set up scripts were trying to load fonts
into the X server using xset. On the remote end, DISPLAY was set, so xset would
run and tell the X server to load fonts off the disk, but on the local end, the
font files didn't exist, so it would spew errors at the user.

In this case, the shader files are at the same path on both the local and
remote end, so I'm not sure if that's coming into play.

Googling various permutations of the errors mostly returns results to the
PyMOL source or the OpenGL specs. :-)

 Detected OpenGL version 2.0 or greater. Shaders available.
 CShaderPrg_New-Error: vertex shader compilation failed name='default'; log
follows.
infoLog=x
 PyMOLShader_NewFromFile-Warning: default shader files not found, loading from
memory.
 CShaderPrg_Link-Error: Shader program failed to link name='default';
GL_MAX_VARYING_FLOATS=60 log follows.

 CShaderPrg_New-Error: vertex shader compilation failed name='volume'; log
follows.

Thanks for your assistance.

-ben

--