Hi grid bird,

the label command is parsed in "literal" mode, which means the semicolon
is not recognized as command separator. Try this instead:

/usr/bin/pymol -d 'fetch 1D5R, async=0; show_as cartoon; spectrum b;
select t0, (resi 30); color red, selection=t0; show spheres,
selection=t0; label t0, "test message"' -d 'save t0.pse'

--
Thomas Holder
PyMOL Developer