It prints the selection all right. Why then save wouldn't save it:

def bk_saves_unique_pdb(Selection = None):
    """Takes current selection (or "all" -- if nothing selected) and
saves it as a uniquetly named pdb file
(Frame_Selection_RandomString.pdb) in the current working
directory."""
    if not Selection:
        Selection = cmd.get_names('selections', 1)
        if Selection:
            Selection = Selection[0] # it was a list
        else:
            Selection = 'all'
    tempFile = tempfile.NamedTemporaryFile(dir=os.curdir,
prefix="{frame:03d}_{sel}_".format(frame=cmd.get_frame(),
sel=Selection) , suffix=".pdb")
    print tempFile.name, Selection # prints righteous file name and
selection name (though not in quotes)
    cmd.save(tempFile.name, Selection) # but still saves nothing
cmd.extend("bk_saves_unique_pdb", bk_saves_unique_pdb)