Hi Adam and Nat,

a few clarifying remarks on this topic:

 - The leading dot is optional, so everything that starts with
   .pymolrc or pymolrc will be found by PyMOL. Files with dot
   take precedence over files without dot.

 - Files ending on .py (or .pym) will be parsed as python scripts,
   files ending on .pml (or .p1m) or without suffix will be parsed as
   PyMOL command syntax.

 - Several directories are searched, in order:
   - $HOME
   - $HOMEPATH + $HOMEDRIVE (on Windows)
   - $PYMOL_PATH

 - PyMOL will even load multiple pymolrc files, however only either
   with dot or without dot, and only from the same directory.

I'll update the PyMOLWiki with that information.

A handy script for saving the current set of changed settings to a
pymolrc file is available here:
http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Save_settings

--
Thomas Holder