Hi Esben,

It's up to you to decide how you want to handle this. You have a few options.

You can remove unwanted alternate conformations, for example:

remove not alt ''+'A'

then run your script.

Or you can specify PyMOL only add hydrogens to a certain set of conformations:

# only h_add to alt conformations labeled 'C'

h_add 1zw9 and alt 'C'

To only add hydrogens to default or 'A' conformers do the following:

h_add 1zw9 and alt ''+'A'

Cheers,

-- Jason

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 3:59 AM, Esben Jannik Bjerrum
<esbenjan...@rocketmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Pymol Users
>     I have a problem with wrong atom assignment, and subsequently wrong
> addition of hydrogens, if theres alternate conformations present. I hope
> anyone else has experience with this or suggestions for troubleshooting.
>     I have developed some scripts that downloads pdb-files from a list, add
> hydrogens to them, and otherwise prepares them for further usage. However,
> if theres alternate conformations present, the atoms on the backbone gets a
> wrong charge assignemt or something, breaking the subsequent addition of
> hydrogens. It seems to happen at PDB load time.
>
> Example steps to reproduce
> fetch 1zw9
> zoom resi 12
> h_add 1zw9
>
> the hydrogen on the nitrogen in the backbone peptide bond doesn't make a
> planer configuration, and if I save the object, the oxygen is assigned a -1
> charge. This makes troubles in my subsequent workflow.
>
> I've tried to delete the alternate conformations inside PyMOL before adding
> hydrogens, but that doesnt fix the problem. I can fix the problem by
> removing the alternate conformations from the PDB file before I load it into
> pymol, but I would rather fix it inside pymol in my scripts.
>
> Best Regards
> Esben Jannik Bjerrum

Jason Vertrees, PhD
Director of Core Modeling Products