Hi Esben,

I have a list of coordinates on a regular grid with associated floating
> point values from a calculation that I want to visualise in PyMOL. Is it
> nescessary to write this to an Xplor/CNS/CCP4 file format and subsequently
> load it, or can it be loaded directly into a map object via some fancy
> python code?

It depends on how you want to visualize the data. If dots/points or other
discrete representations are okay then you can use a XYZ or a modified
structure file. If you want the benefit of a field (volume, gradient,
isosurface) then I suggest the map.

If you already have the data in a well-formatted brick, check out the
asCCP4 function in http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/Tiff2ccp4. That
writes the CCP4 header and data (of a TIFF file, but you can modify that
for your needs).

If you want, send me a copy of your data. Or, I also have a very poorly
written script that will convert raw volumes of data to CCP4 maps, similar
to the aforementioned script. Email me personally and I can send you a copy
if you prefer (but it's really ugly code).

Cheers,

-- Jason

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 8:02 AM, Esben Jannik Bjerrum <
esbenjan...@rocketmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All-knowing Pymol'ers.
>
> I wonder if anyone had a couple of tips/ pointers / script snippets.
>
> I have a list of coordinates on a regular grid with associated floating
point values from a calculation that I want to visualise in PyMOL. Is it
nescessary to write this to an Xplor/CNS/CCP4 file format and subsequently
load it, or can it be loaded directly into a map object via some fancy
python code?

> Best Regards
> Esben Jannik Bjerrum

Jason Vertrees, PhD