Hi Smith,

Distances are generally defined for two points (although it is possible to
generalize the idea to higher dimensions). Since residues are 3D objects,
there is not such a thing as THE distance between 2 residues. Being said
that, as we generally model residues as a collection of spheres (atoms) you
can define several distances, for example:

   - The distance between the centroids of each residue
   - The minimum distance between any two atoms of each residue
   - The average distance over all atoms of each residue
   - The distance between Ca
   - etc…

Depending on your problem one of those distance could be a reasonable proxy
for “hydrophobic interaction”, but maybe you will need to use a more
complex model to solve your problem may be some energy scoring function
(AKA forcefield).

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Osvaldo.