Hi Tim and Carsten,

I wonder what exactly you have tried so far to change the color of the
alignment object. In fact, the "color" command should do the job.

Example:
fetch 1oky 1t46, async=0
align 1oky, 1t46, object=aln
color blue, aln

I don't think that two-color gradients were ever intended, and I don't remember
which version of PyMOL created them. That might have been a bug.

--
Thomas Holder
PyMOL Principal Developer