Thanks Jared, this worked.

Since I only have the extracellular domains of the receptors, i used the
center-of-mass of all extracellular domains as one point,
and  the centre-of-mass of the alpha atoms closest to the membrane for all
receptor moleculees as a second point,
then shifted copies of this second pseudo atom farther down the axis to define
position and thickness of the membrane.
At least for the symmetrical assemblies this looks really good- I have to see
wether I have to find another definition for
the more skewed arrangements. Rather than having to go through extracting the
coordinates from the pseudo atoms to
use cmd.load_go, the atoms can be directly passed as parameters to the
draw_cylinder command in “draw_cylinder_cgo.py"

Thanks to everybody who helped me with their suggestions! I’ll aknowledge you
in my next seminar

best regards
        Annemarie
_______________________________