Dear All,

I have a protein complex scene that I need to create a large, high resolution
(1200 dpi) ray traced image of, but am unable to do so as I always run out of
memory at the end of the ray tracing process, with the following error:

python2.7(972,0x7fff7397f300) malloc: ***
mach_vm_map(size=18446744068907188224) failed (error code=3)
*** error: can't allocate region

This is with PyMOL 1.81 from Fink on OSX 10.10 with an i7-4790K processor and
32 GB of DDR3. Python2.7 expands up to 15 GB of RAM, with more than twice this
reserved for virtual memory, but no swap is actually used.

Decreasing hash_max just increases the ray tracing time until the error at the
end. Sometimes PyMOL will be terminated with this error, whilst at other times
a transparent PNG is all that is produced.

Is there a way to force PyMOL to use virtual memory to avoid these
errors/crashes at the expense of processing time?

If not, is there anyone who has PyMOL 1.8x installed on a system with 64 GB or
more RAM, who would be able to render this ray traced image if I send the, the
.pse file and .pml script off list? Takes about 10 mins to process.

Cheers,

Stephen