Hi Emilia,

On 03 Jun 2016, at 18:39, Emilia C. Arturo (Emily) <ec...@drexel.edu> wrote:

> Thank you for the reply, Thomas. I have a few items in reply:
>
> 1) I have not yet tried to change the refinement settings, but (for
> educational purposes, if nothing else) I would like to know what it is that
> this particular command that you typed, does: PyMOL> refine(5, "mout",
> sculpt_field_mask=(0xFFF & ~0x60)). I haven't found any online documentation
> for sculpt_field_mask.

"sculpt_field_mask" is a bit mask, every bit enables a term. Look at the link
to Sculpt.h that I sent in the previous email. 0x60 is the "or" combination of
cSculptVDW and cSculptVDW14, and the tilde (~) inverts all bits, so effectively
enabling all terms except VDW and VDW14.

> 2) Thank you for showing me how to fix atoms by typing
>
> PyMOL> flag fix, (selection), set
>
> before I call the morph command. Now how does one UNfix the atoms in the
> selection? Navigating Build>Scultping>Clear memory does not do it. Do I
> really need to exit the session to accomplish the reset (which is what worked
> for me)?

"unfix" atoms:
PyMOL> flag fix, (selection), clear

> 3) I encountered a warning message about the match command when I type:
>
> PyMOL> morph mout, sele1, sele2, refinement=0
>
> (where sele1 and sele2 both have 4 iron ions each, each labeled 'FE')
>
> The result is several lines that say 'Match-Warning: unknown residue type
> 'FE' (using X).' No Fe ions are used/observed in the interpolation. If,
> however, I type:
>
> PyMOL> morph mout, sele1, sele2, match=in, refinement=0
>
> then the Fe ions do appear as part of the interpolation. Why does the 'align'
> argument (which is default for 'match') ignore the Fe?

This is indeed not obvious. The "align" command uses a BLOSUM62 substitution
matrix to score the alignment. Since "FE" is not an amino acid, it gets
assigned "X" as the single letter code. With the BLOSUM62 matrix, X matched to
X has a score of -1 (penalty). In theory you could modify the file
/Applications/MacPyMOL.app/Contents/pymol/data/pymol/matrices/BLOSUM62 and
change the X/X score to 1, then PyMOL will align the FE atoms.

--
Thomas Holder
PyMOL Principal Developer