Hi Tony,

Unfortunately, PyMOL knows only temporarily during cartoon generation what's
protein and what's nucleic acid. It doesn't store this information with the
atoms.

Maybe the following is a more robust hack than using residue names:

select protein, (byres polymer & name CA)
select nucleic, (byres polymer & name P)
select rna, (byres polymer & name O2')
select dna, (nucleic & !rna)

To update these selections with a single key press, put this in your pymolrc:

set_key F1, \

--
Thomas Holder
PyMOL Principal Developer