Hi James,

I am not sure what the exact cause of your issue is but I think if you make a
selection first then apply the transparency to the selection that should work,
i.e.:

sele ss H+S
set cartoon_transparency, 0.5, sele

Something to do with selection based transparency settings not enabling newer
ones to be made

Cheers,

Ali