Hi Thomas and Vaheh -

This is indeed an interesting idea.  I was thinking about this in terms of
implementation, and what the edge cases might be.  I wonder what would be the
mechanism for assigning the color if the object is not just a single color.
Would it be the color that is the dominant color of the object over all
(visible) representations?

What about a spectrum-colored object?  Would it be possible to color the object
name according to the colors in the spectrum (like the "spectrum" and "rainbow"
menu items already in the OpenGL menu)?

And what if there are different coloring schemes for the different
representations—would there be a hierarchy in terms of choosing , e.g. surface
> cartoon > stick > line, etc.?

I definitely like Thomas' idea of a global `internal_gui_name_color_mode`
setting to turn the menu object name coloring on/off.  (Perhaps different modes
could correspond to different ways of choosing the displayed color.)  It might
also be useful to include object-level (or named-selection-level) settings to
override the global setting and specify the color or spectrum directly, e.g.:

    set internal_gui_name_color, red, obj1
    set internal_gui_name_spectrum, rainbow, obj1

Really interesting suggestion, Vaheh.  Looking forward to seeing how it might
work!

Cheers,
Jared

On October 1, 2019 at 5:13:07 AM, Thomas Holder (thomas.hol...@schrodinger.com)