Hi Jerome!

Hi Nick!

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on
our mutual interest.

Jerome reasonably asked if I'd looked at Intel's
latest drivers.

"neo".

I had not.

But he inspired me to.

I'm glad it seems stable.

To be fair, though, I don't recall seeing any
computer benchmarks from Intel as dramatic
as AMD's Radeon VII.

The Radeon VII is evidently rated at a theoretical
max of 3 trillion 64 bit floating point
operations.

Per second!

The other info I have that may be of interest is
for IBM's POWER9 CPUs.

I think they may sometimes be fast enough to
replace GPUs.

My understanding is an 8 core POWER9 CPU has been
bench marked at half the speed of a GeForce 980
running cuda.

50 (vs. 100) Gigaflops.

The bench mark was a lightly optimized nbody.

The author seemed to think gcc supports the
POWER9's vectorization pretty well.

Up to 44 POWER9 cores are available on mother
boards from Raptor Computing Systems.

Wouldn't it be nice if POWER9 CPUs were fast
enough to run regular python, without rewriting
applications to conform to (py)opencl, or a GPU?

But, all the above info is hear say.

I can't vouch for it personally.

Nor do I have any specific reason to doubt it.

So,
Kingsley