It’s generally only a two step process if there isn’t an existing issue you’re
fixing. If you’re fixing an issue you can/should just use the issue’s number
instead of the PRs number. We can make it possible to do like <uuid>.feature
and such too though if we think the random PR without an issue case is big
enough to warrant a special case.

> On May 2, 2017, at 3:43 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> One thing I've just noticed with the new NEWS process for pip is that
> it's made the PR process a 2-step process - you have to first make the
> change, then once you submit the PR you have a PR number that you can
> use to add a NEWS entry as a second commit.
>
> That's both clumsy from a workflow POV, and messy in the commit
> history (as we'll presumably end up with a lot of "Add a NEWS entry"
> commits).
>
> Could we change the process to allow users who know the process to
> include the NEWS entry as part of the first commit?
>
> The current process makes it *very* tempting for me to mark small
> changes as trivial just so that I don't have to do the second step,
> which is bad :-(
>
> Paul

—
Donald Stufft