I appreciate that there are no resources to solving this problem, which is
why I'm trying to contribute.

I ran some tools on the top 5000 most-downloaded. Of those, there's about
25 problem packages, but they are requirements for another ~50. So more
than 1% of the top most-downloaded packages have known vulnerabilities.

The most obvious of them is Pycrypto. It is about the 239th most-downloaded
package on Pypi. It is a requirement for about another 10 of the top 5000.
There were about 1.5M downloads in the last month.

The last official upstream release is 2.6.1 from October, 2013 (based on
what's on https://www.dlitz.net/software/pycrypto/). It is vulnerable to
CVE-2013-7459 and CVE-2018-6594 and there are PoC exploits available.

So, what do I do? I'll start by filing defects for any package that
requires Pycrypto to stop using it. But I won't be able to reach everyone.

If I can formally prove that the Pycrypto package has been abandoned, can I
take it over and replace it with a version that intentionally does not
work? That may be an improvement to having people use an exploitable
package.

- A