Hi Wim,

On 25/11/10 01:32, wlavrij...@lbl.gov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so I'm revising my numbers after finding out that I was using a debug version
> of ROOT/Reflex ...
>
> PyROOT:   48.6
> PyCintex: 50.2
> pypy-c:    5.5
> C++:       0.05

wow, impressive numbers :-).

You said that the benchmark you used is a loop calling a c++ function that
does nothing. What is the signature of that function?
If you remember, in interp_cppyy there is a fast path that gives huge speedups
when calling a c++ function which takes an integer and returns an integer, so
depending on the signature you get very different numbers today.

The good news is that nowadays the JIT has got the capability to optimise
external calls in a general way: this means that as soon as we integrate it
with cppyy we can have all calls as fast as the ones that go through the
current fast path.

ciao,
Anto