On 15/02/11 11:25, holger krekel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> what do you think or know why Google choose Java over Python for
> its Android system?  Surely, Python doesn't have a big track record
> in terms of targetting mobile devices.  Also CPython is limited
> in how it can change and adapt i guess.  I imagine PyPy could do much
> better.  Wouldn't it be cool to have a totally python-based
> state-of-the-art phone? :)

yes: this way, when my friends ask me what the hell I'm working on, I could
just show them the phone :-)

More seriously, I think that nowadays one of the most important points for a
mobile platform is to have a huge selection of 3rd party apps: in this sense,
the popularity of Java and the big number of developers (especially mediocre
and cheap developers, which is what you need to develop most of the apps out
there) is a big win for android.

On the other hand, iphone shows that you can do that even if your primary
language is Objective-C, but it AFAIK objc was already used quite a lot in the
apple ecosystem.

Anyway, back to the original topic: what would python offer more than java for
android?

ciao,
Anto