Compiling with -O0 is really quick, but the runtime is fairly slow. I
haven't tried with -O1. -O2 takes a few seconds to compile, but that plus
runtime is still faster than the pypy version with jit, but not by too much
(I'm recalling the tests I did with the mandelbrot program specifically). I
can get some actual numbers later today.

Sure I'll write up a post. This was a lot of fun, and I think it's a great
way to teach people how pypy works.

-Andrew