Hi Justin,

I see that you're hacking at CPython's tarfile.py and gzip.py, for
performance reason.  I should warn you that it's probably a bad idea.
For example, when we moved from supporting 2.5 to 2.7, we didn't
manually convert all the stuff in modified-2.5; we just mostly ignored
it and took the few still-relevant changes (the rest was fixed in
CPython itself in the meantime).  In other words, "modified-*" is only
supposed to be there to fix real issues that appear on PyPy and not on
CPython.

We have no place to put specifically performance improvements, and
that's good, because we don't want to diverge from CPython's stdlib.
If you do helpful performance fixes, they are probably helpful for
CPython, too, and so they should go to the CPython issue tracker.

Also, a check-in to pypy/module/bz2/interp_bz2.py has the message "fix
bz2. tests didn't find this."  But it doesn't add any test.  This is
also a bad idea.  If it really fixes an issue, it must come either
with a test that shows it, or a lengthy explanation of why you
couldn't design a test.

A bientôt,

Armin.