>> You would like pypy+numpy+scipy so that you could write fast
>> python-only algorithms and still use the existing libraries.  I
>> suppose this is a perfectly reasonable usecase, and indeed
>> the current plan does not focus on this.

Yes. That is exactly what I want.

> However, I'd like to underline that to write "fast python-only algorithms",
> you most probably still need a fast numpy in the way it is written right now
> (unless you want to write your algorithms without using numpy at all)

I make very little use of numpy itself other than as the way to use scipy; I
tend to write python-only algorithms that don't use numpy. As Peter Cock says
in his own reply, a little bit of slowdown in regular numpy use compared to
CPython would be fine, though a LOT of slowdown could be a problem.

Now, I'm not saying I'm typical. I have no idea how typical I am, though it
sounds like Peter Cock is in a similar boat. I'm sure I'd benefit from doing
more with numpy. But I simply cannot do without scipy, or accessing equivalent
functionality by using R or another package. I'd much rather use scipy and see
its capabilities grow than use R.

>From my own bias, I'd assume that what would benefit the scientific community
>most is scipy integration first, and a faster numpy second. Scipy simply
>provides too many tools that are absolutely essential.

The project for providing a common interface to IronPython, etc. sounded
extremely promising in that regard -- it makes enormous sense to me that all
different versions of python should have a way to access scipy, even if custom
code that uses numpy is a little bit slower. My main concern is that the glue
to frequently-called scipy functions such as scipy.stats.stats.chisqprob
wouldn't be so much slower that my overall script isn't benefiting from PyPy.

Obviously, I understand that this is an open-source project and people develop
what they are interested in. I'm just giving my individual perspective, for
whatever it may be worth.

--

Gary Robinson
CTO