Hi Laurence,

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM, Laurence Tratt <lau...@tratt.net> wrote:
> my experience, Python programs that nominally use floats actually end up
> slinging lots of integers around since very few people can be bothered to
> write "x = 1.0" instead of "x = 1". I expect the other types are similarly
> intermingled in many programs.

Ok, but then it seems that the first problem we hit down this road,
before arriving at the __contains__ performance, is actually mixing
ints and floats in the same list.  We need to do something to store
such lists efficiently.  I'm suggesting using a list of floats with a
custom encoding of N-bit integers into NaN values (for N==32 or maybe
a higher number that still fits).  This requires a bit of tweaking
here and there (maybe all the way to the JIT) but shouldn't be too
hard.

A bientôt,

Armin.