From: armin.r...@gmail.com [mailto:armin.r...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Armin Rigo
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2016 2:18 AM
To: Wang, Peter Xihong <peter.xihong.w...@intel.com>
Cc: pypy-dev@python.org
Subject: Re: [pypy-dev] how to extend VTUNE support from pypy for application
hot spot analysis

Hi Peter,

On 29 July 2016 at 01:24, Wang, Peter Xihong <peter.xihong.w...@intel.com>
wrote:
> Armin created a minimum working version incorporating VTUNE to a branch at:
> https://bitbucket.org/pypy/pypy/branch/vtune
>
> This works in a sense such that statistically meaningful
> micro-architecture data could be collected.  However, for hot spot
> analysis, we’d like to trace back to the Python application source code.

Mapping raw addresses in JIT-generated assembly all the way back to Python is a
bit difficult, but that's what vmprof tries to do.  I can imagine a solution
based on vmprof.  For now, try to run pypy in the vtune branch together with
vmprof:
https://github.com/vmprof/vmprof-python .  I think the vmprof log file contains
some information that does the mapping we're looking for.

For now we're not actively developing the vtune branch any more, but maybe we
should.  I should add that my copy of vtune-amplifier-xe started refusing to
work, with "Error - no valid license - license expired" and no hint about if
and how to renew that license, so that put me off.

A bientôt,

Armin.