From: Yury V. Zaytsev [mailto:y...@shurup.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 12:03 PM
To: William ML Leslie <william.leslie....@gmail.com>
Cc: Wang, Peter Xihong <peter.xihong.w...@intel.com>; PyPy Developer Mailing
List <pypy-dev@python.org>
Subject: Re: [pypy-dev] Any known tricks or effort made to make the PyPy source
code build faster?

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016, William ML Leslie wrote:

> > On 30/08/2016 9:53 am, "Wang, Peter Xihong"
> > <peter.xihong.w...@intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > By default, it appears most of the time during the build/compile
> > process, only 1 single CPU core is busy, signaling missing of
> > parallel compiling.  Is there any best known practice to make it faster?
>
> Not at the moment. The STM work that Armin is doing may give us an
> interpreter that can make better use of extra cores during
> translation, but it is still experimental.

Just to elaborate on this as it might be not obvious for the newcomers:
most of the "build" time is actually *not* spent upon compilation itself (as
with many other projects), but rather upon translation of the interpreter into
the source code, which is to be compiled into the binary during the last step
of the build.

This last step can be easily parallelized with make, however, because of the
above, this has little practical value. Unfortunately, parallelization of the
translation process is challenging due to the GIL issue. The
(amazing) STM work as mentioned by William sidesteps this problem, but, at the
moment, it is not ready yet.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev