On 30/12/22 14:24, Oliver Margetts wrote:
Hello all,

Are the tests in the rpython/ directory expected to pass when run via `pypy pytest.py rpython/`? And do you have a current CI setup for running these tests?

With zero modifications to the codebase, I'm seeing quite a few test failures in the CI pipelines over here: https://github.com/olliemath/pypy/actions/runs/3803555068/jobs/6470041568 Some of these are spurious (I think the runners don't have enough memory) but quite a few are reproducible locally. I'm interested in getting them up to scratch (i.e. passing), but don't have a sufficient baseline to go off of.

For background: I'm currently playing around with RPython (specifically adding "from __future__ import print_function", see https://github.com/olliemath/pypy/pull/1). As part of that I decided to use github workflows to test my code using the unofficial github mirror of pypy. To make sure I don't break anything I would ideally start from a green pipeline and iterate.

Best,
Oliver

The rpython tests should pass with pypy2. There is some tricky code in rpython/rtyper/lltypesystem/ll2ctypes to allow untranslated tests to run, it may need some tweaks since it is sometimes not clear what is run on the host python and what is run interpreted.

As I commented on the PR, I had a rpython3 branch that was meant to get the document build to use python3 instead of python2 since readthedocs will someday quit supporting python2. There was some dicusssion about it, which I cannot find, and it never made it to a real PR even though I started a  rpython3-for-merge branch to merge the non-controversial parts of rpython3, but never merged it.

Matti