On 28/5/23 21:55, hzy15610046011 via pypy-dev wrote:

Hello pypy experts!

What I want to do is to run a performance test on the cpyext module.  The
translation&compilation procedure took about 1 hour on my computer. After I
modifying some code( just a slight modification under pypy/modules/cpyext), the
whole translation procedure seemed to restart completely, taking another one hour.

I found pytest could do unit test, but it seems to be run on a different
interpreter such as Cpython2 or another pre-built pypy interpreter.

So I was wondering if there is any way to run performance benchmarks partially,
without compiling the whole project, honestly thanks!

-- zy hou

The short answer is "you need to do a complete translation in order to benchmark". But you can run some microbenchmarks like in this blog post [0] and use kcachegrind to look for inefficiencies if you know what you are looking for.

Is there some particular code pattern you would like to speed up?

Matti

[0] https://www.pypy.org/posts/2018/09/inside-cpyext-why-emulating-cpython-c-8083064623681286567.html#avoiding-unnecessary-roundtrips