Hi Simon,

On Sunday 10 August 2003 15:04, Simon Edwards wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just managed to build a RPM of PyKDE for Mandrake 9.1 with a big
> helping of Hans-Peter's patches.

:-)

> It was fairly involved since first I had to make RPMs of sip 3.7, and
> then update the PyQT RPMs and build, but something went wrong and I
> thought it was my out dated qscintilla install (1.0), of course there
> was no up-to-date RPM of qscintilla on Mdk9.1 so _then_ I went and
> updated and built it. Now where was I... oh yeah. I got PyQt worked
> out, then came the fight with PyKDE which was resolved when
> Hans-Peter's mail showed up in KMail this morning. (Ok it wasn't

Well, none of my patches is really _essential_ for build.py. It's rather
a long overdue clean up with some useful extensions. Next step should
be factoring out the common parts in build.py from all three projects,
and form a common basic sip builder lib, with extensions for PyQt and
PyKDE. This is common sense for all involved parties, BTW.

> _that_ easy, I had to remake the build.py patch) But after a lot of
> compiling everything seems to be working.

What do you understand under "remake the patch". Didn't it apply?
What changes where needed? I would be interested in a diff -u between
your and my version.

> * I had to hack my qconfig.h file locally (style stuff) to get PyQt
> working.

Qt configure suck rocks.

> * "Build as non-root" is vital for packagers BTW.

The whole magic is the possibility to build into an independant dir.

> * If anyone wants to try out my (collection of) RPMs, I can put it
> all up on a website.

You may ask Jonathan Gardner for enabling your sf.net account to
maintain the mandrake packages on sf. Packaging is an important part
of any successful project.

Cheers,
Pete