On Wednesday 15 June 2011 15:45:08 Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 June 2011, 03:04:32 Algis Kabaila wrote:
> > After  long trepidation, I started moving my python scripts from python
> > 2.x to python 3.2.
> >
> > Pleasant surprise - sip-4.12.3 and PyQt-x11-gpl-4.8.4 compiled without
> > problems!
> >
> > Python 3.2 IDLE does not work well with this version of PyQt. Anyway,
> > eric 5.x would be better, so it is necessary to install python 3 version
> > of QScintilla. Downloaded QScintilla-gpl-2.5.1.tar.gz, expanded the tar
> > ball and attempted to compile:
> >
> > Changed the current dir to QScintilla-gpl-2.5.1/Python/ and tried the
> > first step:
> >
> > $ python3.2 configure.py
> >
> > It immediately responded with the message:
> >
> > "Qsci/qsciglobal.h could not be found in /usr/include/qt4.  If QScintilla
> > is installed then use the -n argument to explicitly specify the correct
> > directory."
>
> You need to compile and install the qscintilla C++ lib before generating
> the python wrappers:
>
> pushd Qt4
> qmake qscintilla.pro
> sudo make install
> popd
>
> > I am using a freshly installed kubuntu 11.04 "natty" OS and had a python
> > 2.x version of QScintilla installed from ubuntu binaries.  I thought that
> > the message may simply be because of the installed binaries, so
> > "completely removed" the installed QScintilla with the aid of "synaptic"
> > program and tried to repeat the first step of compilation.  It  failed
> > again with an identical message.  I suspect I am doing  someting wrong,
> > but what?
> >
> > So where do I go from here?
>
> Al, manually compiling stuff like this should be done as the last resort
> only.
>
> One of the most compelling reasons to use Linux is the distributions
> package manager. OTOH, mixing that with manual builds is the source for
> many strange failures.
>
> My advice is: go through the hassle of building packages for your
> distribution. Even better, as far as I know, Ubuntu has something similar
> to openSUSE build service, or you might want to use that, since it is able
> to create ubuntu builds, too.
>
> Just needing the packages on a second system will pay off for the initial
> hassle. Guaranteed.
>
> Pete

Pete, thank you for the useful information. I have followed the instructions
in
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Docs/QScintilla2/index.html
and the process worked without error messages.  Sorry for the noise!

Thank you for the advice - greatly appreciated.  I will certainly give it
careful thought in my future endeavours.  OTOH, it is tempting on occasions to
take the lazy alternative - when  your age is approaching 90  (3 years and 8
months to go   :).

Great to see you active and still serving SUSE community.  Tempting to return
to it, but ubuntu is nice and easy...

Many thanks again,

Al.