On Feb 26, 2013, at 12:22 , Ned Deily <n...@acm.org> wrote:
> In article <nad-dbd83f.11402326022...@news.gmane.org>,
> Ned Deily <n...@acm.org> wrote:
>> In article
>> <CAP7+vJ+QW1YdcGaSxOZTbvYu6=qyddrgnffpg-8imquf_fe...@mail.gmail.com>,
>> Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:
>>> If someone organizes a visit to the computer museum I *definitely*
>>> would like to tag along. Despite working around the corner for 7 years
>>> I've never been. My first computer was a Cray design, and soon I will
>>> be computer history myself. :-)
>> So was mine.  It's open Tue-Sat 1000 to 1700, so given the PyCon
>> schedule, I'd guess Wednesday afternoon during the sprints would be the
>> earliest practical option.  Or Thursday if people are still around.  I'd
>> be happy to put up a signup sheet for people and cars at the sprints if
>> there is interest.
> Bah, I just noticed that the museum is closed for a special event on
> that Wednesday (03-20) so the earliest would be Thursday (03-21).  We
> can discuss further at the summit and/or sprints.

I ran into Guido today at lunch and remembered this previous discussion about a
possible visit to the CHM.  As noted, the  museum would not be available during
the week until Thursday.  Guido and no doubt others will not be around then.
So he suggested that Sunday (tomorrow) afternoon might be an option.  The
logistics are not ideal but it might be doable.  The museum closes at 5pm and
it should take at most 15 minutes to get there by auto from the convention
center.  I think any visit should not be less than an hour and the museum has a
suggested 1-hour highlights tour here:

    http://www.computerhistory.org/planvisit/media/docs/chm-1hr-tour.pdf

That suggests that the departure time from the convention center should be no
later than 3:30pm which would be in the middle of the conference closing
address.

Rather than cluttering this list, I suggest that anyone interested in such a
trip contact me via private email prior to 9am tomorrow morning and, if you are
willing to drive, how many people you could give rides to, and an email address
or SMS phone number to contact you on Sunday during the day.  I'll reply all
tomorrow morning with first-come, first-served match-ups and a suggested
meeting place if there is interest.

--
  Ned Deily
  n...@acm.org -- []