On May 24, 2013 2:55 PM, "Antoine Pitrou" <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:

> Le vendredi 24 mai 2013 à 16:22 -0400, Brett Cannon a écrit :
> > >
> > > I don't understand why it's painful to backport. Can you explain?
> >
> > If I make a very minor fix to the docs I have to:
> >
> > # In a 3.3 checkout
> > Fix docs
> > Compile docs
> > Add Misc/NEWS entry
> > hg ci -m "repeat what I just said in Misc/NEWS"
> > hg push
> > cd ../default
> > hg merge 3.3
> > Fix/revert Misc/NEWS (at least)
> > Compile docs (if fix is needed)
> > hg ci
> > hg push
>
> I honestly don't understand why you would mention doc fixes (even major
> ones) in Misc/NEWS. It's not a useful piece of information to have
> there. People want to know about bug fixes because they are affected by
> bugs, but doc fixes??

I think you misunderstood what he meant. Misc/NEWS is documentation. I
believe he meant he won't fix typos in NEWS due to the make pain involved.

I'm the same way. I want nothing to do with news when making my changes
because it ALWAYS gets in the way for any change not being done on
head/default/tip only. If anything I prefer to leave news entries out of
the commit they are related to to avoid news merges going wrong from
messing up the real change. Hopefully I remember to write a news entry for
it after the fact.