On Oct 03, 2015, at 11:28 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>We also looked at trying to land 3.5 for this month's Fedora 23
>release (which would have involved bringing the pre-releases into
>Fedora Rawhide), but decided it more sense to prioritise further work
>on the Python 3 migration instead.

It's almost as if there's a Linux Cabal[*] dividing and conquering!  We pushed
hard for the 3.5 migration in the very soon to be released Ubuntu 15.10,
found, fixed, and forwarded lots of bugs, and feel pretty good about the state
of Python 3.5.  Yes, there's a long tail and some difficult packages, but a
lot got fixed both in Debuntu and upstream.  That'll continue but I'm planning
for the bulk of our next cycle to be Python 3 by default and dropping 3.4.  As
for Debian, which is release-when-ready, I'd also like us to be Python 3 by
default and 3.5 only.  The 3.5 transition is just starting over there (mostly
rebuilds since Ubuntu diffs have been pushed upstream to Debian wherever
possible).

Cheers,
-Barry