On 02/28/2016 10:25 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 28, 2016, 12:02 Georg Brandl <g.bra...@gmx.net
> <mailto:g.bra...@gmx.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 02/28/2016 08:10 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>
>     >     Can *anyone* take it upon themselves to (let's
>     >     say) say "Brett, you unilaterally changed the policy with no
> discussion
>     >     or consultation and just four minutes notice. That is unspeakably
> rude
>     >     and total jerk behaviour, so under your own rules you're out of
> here"?
>     >
>     >     I'm not just making a rhetorical point. I wouldn't accept that sort
> of
>     >     unilateral behaviour from my work colleagues.
>     >
>     >
>     > It wasn't a unilateral decision. If it was then I would have just done
> it
>     > without  opening an issue or bringing it up here. I mentioned it here
> just in
>     > case someone might get upset by it (which obviously happened).
>
>     FWIW, Eric Smith and myself (co-"owners" of the mailing list) supported
> this
>     when Brett asked.
>

> I think Steven's objection was me wanting to state in the devguide that core
> devs would adhere to the CoC in all Python-related interactions in the
> community
> regardless of whether that interaction explicitly occurred under the purview
> of
> the CoC, which is a stronger statement than just this mailing list being under
> the CoC.

Well, "Python-related" is a bit strong and includes activities the PSF/the
CPython developer community has no business in. It should be rephrased to
"Python core-related" - that mostly happens through the mailing lists (and
the tracker).  We should not presume to be an employer that will fire
employees based on a post on their private Facebook account.

cheers,
Georg