On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 20:25:22 +0300, =?UTF-8?Q?Berker_Peksa=C4=9F?=
<berker.pek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 7:41 PM, Ethan Furman <et...@stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> > Question:  I noticed a couple issues on b.p.o that were being closed by
> > contributors (not core-devs, not their own issues).
> >
> > Should non-core-devs be closing issues that do not belong to them?
>
> Yes, but they should provide enough information (commit hash, issue
> number etc.) about their reasons to close those issues.

Right.  In general though when one is closing an issue there isn't a
commit hash to note unless that has already been noted by the commit
bot, in which case it is likely to be a core dev doing the close since
they did the commit.  An issue number would be cited in the case of
a duplicate, yes.  There are other reasons to do a close, and those
reasons should be stated clearly in an accompanying comment.  That
goes for core devs as well as triage people, obviously :)

I'm assuming here that you are amplifying that non-committers can close,
not that you are saying that there are some who are not commenting on
why they are doing the close.

> Also slightly off-topic, but we should be more transparent about
> giving people triage rights on the tracker. I'm seeing some unknown
> people (at least they are unknown to me) who assign issues to
> themselves without knowing what the field is about.

Some while back we made the decision to be fairly liberal in handing out
tracker privs for triage.  If there are people who are not following the
devguide with regards to triage, let us know here and we can discuss it
and mentor them.  Triage privs can only be given out by some core devs,
so you can find out who and why by posting here.  Well, unless it is
someone from long enough ago that we've all forgotten about them :)

We've talked about having a 'triage capable' symbol to go with our
core dev and contributer agreement symbols, but no one has implemented
it yet.

--David