On 28/04/17 01:49, Terry Reedy wrote:
On 4/27/2017 3:44 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 at 22:36 Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu <mailto:tjre...@udel.edu>> wrote:

    On 4/26/2017 1:45 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:

     > E.g. I don't expect
> test_importlib to be directly responsible for exercising all code in > importlib, just that Python's entire test suite exercise importlib as
     > much as possible as a whole.

The advantage for importlib in this respect is that import statements
    cannot be mocked; only the objects imported, after importlib is
    finished.

Oh, you can mock import statements. :)

Other than by pre-loading a mock module into sys.modules?
If so, please give a hint, as this could be useful to me.

https://docs.python.org/3/library/unittest.mock-examples.html#mocking-imports-with-patch-dict

At the moment, I am the only one pushing idlelib patches, except when it gets included in one of Serhiy's multi-module refactoring patches (and
    he always nosies me).

It turns out that Louie Lu's new tool revealed a couple of other patches, though just to tests that started failing.

I had not thought about the issue that way. I should add a test_module
    for each remaining module, import the module, and at least create an
    instance of every tkinter widget defined therein, and see what other
    classes could be easily instantiated and what functions easily run.

That seems like a good starting point. Kind of like test_sundry but with class instantiation on top of it.

I looked and saw that bdb is in 'untested'.  I also discovered
https://bugs.python.org/issue19417
to change that, with a 3+ year-old-patch.  I plan to review it.

     > I view 100% coverage as aspirational, not attainable. But if we
    want an
     > attainable goal, what should we aim for? We're at 83.44% now

    On what system?

Travis, where the Codecov run is driven from.

I meant OS, because

       I suspect that Tkinter, ttk, turtle, and IDLE
GUI-dependent tests make at least a 2% difference on GUI Windows versus
    no-GUI *nix.

--
Terry Jan Reedy