> I don't think it is a problem for the bpo issue number to be missing if

there isn't one.  (I presume you meant 'backport-bpo-NNNN-sha1` for the
> BPO alternative.)  But how abut using the github PR number in that case?

Sure, provided the commit hash, we can get the bpo number and GH pr number
by doing:

 git log -n 1 --pretty=format:%B <commit_hash>

The question is: since backport branch is temporary and gets deleted once
PR is created, is this even important? If so, please open an issue in
core-workflow :)

I'm actually not even sure if I should bother with improving
cherry_picker.py now knowing a bot is coming soon.

> * If I want to share a change to review but it must not be merged,
> would it be possible to prevent merge by mistake? Maybe add [WIP] to
> the title and modify our bot to mark the "build" as failed? For
> example, I wrote a patch which depends on a different patch but I
> didn't want to create a patch serie since it didn't make sense.

One thing we can do is to apply "don't merge" label, and it can be a status
check for bedevere. This is just my suggestion :)  bedevere isn't doing
this yet. There was talk yesterday about having a bot that can apply
labels. Maybe this can be part of that.

* I suggest to track backports at bpo since an issue tracks all PR and
> it seems like most core developers want to put most informations in
> the issue rather than GitHub.

Hmm, what do you mean by tracking backports at bpo? We already have the
`needs backport` status in bpo.

Mariatta Wijaya