On 5 February 2018 at 14:47, Mariatta Wijaya <mariatta.wij...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We already have Travis checking 'make regen-all' and 'make clinic'
>> (assuming it's working correctly).

Ah, I didn't think that idea was a new one :)

> The CI in https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/5498 were all passing, but
> I think we expected it to fail? In the end Barry regenerated the files
> manually.

Heh, I think I have a plausible theory as to what happened:

The 3.7 and 3.8 compilers are currently still identical, and this was
the first post-branch change to importlib (as far as I know), so:

1. The patch applied cleanly (because the previously frozen versions
were the same)
2. The regen check passed (because the regenerated version was the same)

And this is likely to continue to be the case until we either make a
change to importlib or the compiler for 3.8 that we don't backport to
3.7.

Whereas the cherry picking just outright failed on 3.6 because the
current state of the frozen importlib on that branch is different.

Cheers,
Nick.